In my public health mentoring activities I have found one of the major challenges of today's workplace is - there are no longer any hard and fast rules about anything, except you better be honest about yourself on your resume. Times are changing so fast that one of the major assets you can bring to the workplace is your ability to be flexible and versatile. Plus, you should think beyond a particular jobtitle. Additionally, you don't HAVE to work in a public health setting to be a public health practitioner. Because Public Health Practice is a state of mind you bring to your workplace.
Having worked in a variety of settings myself I have found working in the public sector to be the most challenging of all because civil servants must be flexible to respond to the pressures of the ever-changing needs of the public. Thus, one jobtitle really encompasses a variety of jobtitles. So, this Web page is my attempt to try and match up what I've done in my various jobtitles, as a civil servant, to jobs in the private and nonprofit sectors. This is so you can think about looking in other sectors besides just the public sector for a public health job. So, underneath each jobtitle I have held, I am providing jobtitles in the private and nonprofit sectors that closely resemble the work I've done within my jobtitles. The descriptions are taken from actual job ads. Let me know what you think.
Associate Research Analyst (n = 23)
- Business Analyst, Administrative Information Systems Support (Private - Academia) Analyzing business requirements and evaluate information systems' functionality to identify gaps; and designing and writing specifications for programs to implement those solutions. Develop related documentation, and training materials. Provide end-user training. Knowledge of and experience with developing and/or implementing large, complex management informations systems across multiple departments.
- Business Development Analyst (Nonprofit- Hospital) You will develop and facilitate the implementation of business plans for new and expanded services, monitor and evlauate the impact of new ventures and services; and conduct feasibility analyses. An MBA or MPH.
- Commodity Specialist (Hi tech manufacturing) Assists in the creation ond implementation of comprehensive commodity sourcing strategies for the Business Services commodity on a global basis. Relevant work experience - negotiations, strategic sourcing, quality process management, global project management.
- Corporate Audit (Utilities) The successful candidate will plan, oordinate, and perform audits, assessments, and various special projects within the XX system. We are seeking highly motivated professionals, who strive to make valuable contributions while working on challenging engagements, with demonstrated success in identifying business risks and exposures, evaluating internal controls, and recommending practical solutions that management can implement quickly and cost effectively. Ability to communicate, both written and verbal, clearlyand concisely, is required.
- Corporate Quality Outcomes Manager (Healthcare) You will work closely with organizational leadership to implement effective performance and quality improvement activities directed at the care for the customer served. You will also ensure ongoing education on quality, data flow, and management. Experience in facilitating organizational compliance, excellent interpersonal and written communication skills, and the ability to work in collaboration with teams are required. You must also be able to understand quality data and recognize the performance impact as they relate to identified outcomes and establishment of effective action plans with indicators of success.
- Credit Analyst (Private-Banking) Perform independent analysis of commercial loan requests. You will also analyze financial statements, prepare written analyses and discuss alternative structures, assessments and turn-around requirements...
- Human Resources Information Systems Analyst (Non-profit - hospital) As an HRIS Analyst, you will research, analyze, design, and maintain desktop computer systems in support of HR administration and projects. Responsibilities will include developing, testing, training, and implementing our HRIS/payroll system, continually monitoring human resources information needs; and designing new or modifying existing systems to meet changing requirements. You will also serve a technical support for the dept staff and liaison with the Information Systems staff to resolve programming and related problems; and recommend new equipment or software in support of human resources objectives. Strong analytical, project coordination, interpersonal, verbal communication, and organizational skills are required. Attention to detail and the ability to maintain confidential data are also essential.
- Manager, Quality Improvement and Case Management Departments (Healthcare)Progressive management experience, familiarity with computerized database systems, process development experience.
- Manager, Reporting/Quality Management (Non-profit) Management position, exceptional ability to manipulate data; must possess strong analytical and mathematical skills.
- Marketing Analyst (Private - Publishing) Responsibilities include analysis and reporting of key marketing information, verification of data integrity, data interpretation, and report adaptation as needed. The right individual must possess excellent analytical abilities, statistical aptitude, strong computer skills and be able to interact and provide input into marketing group.
- Marketing & Communication Analyst (Healthcare) In this position you will be responsible for the awareness of the organization's programs and services, and improving utilization of them through the development of a comprehensive marketing/public relations plan. Your assistance in developing and implementing marketing and PR goals and strategies will gain increased awareness and support among defined audiences, referrals, customers, media & the community.
- Market Research Analyst (Private) Individual with experience in collecting, analyzing and reporting research data. Strong mathematical and analytical skills, effective writing and communications skills, the ability to work in a team setting, ability to work on multiple projects. Knowledge of analytical software.
- Programmer Analyst (Non-profit) Function as a member of a team that is responsible for development, maintenance and production support. Will be involved in all phases of assignments including requirements, analysis, design, coding, testing and documentation and will interface with end-users.
- Quality Assurance Analyst (Claim Administrator) Responsibilities are to ensure that quality standards are met. Performs audits using established policy criteria, company procedure and plan documents, and reports results on a regularly schueduled basis.
- Quality Assurance Analyst (Insurance) Perform quality reviews of claim decisions including financial integrity of claims according to department best practice procedures and provisions. Provide suggestions and feedback to Team Leaders, Benefit Consultants, Clinical and Training staff and intrepret policy provisions and state regulations. Ability to decipher and interpret medical data and other doucmentation.
- Quality Assurance Auditor (Private - Manufacturing) As part of our team, your diversified responsibilities include performing all quality audits on components and filled goods and document results in all company computer systems. Conduct routine and specially assigned tasks/projects as designated by management, analyze results and report findings to management;i.e., problem resolutions related to component defects, new process evaluation and qualification, on-line inspection to identify preventive action, vendor process improvement, training of Q.A. and manufacturing personnel as required.
- Quality Engineer (Private - High Tech) Perform inspections, develop inspection procedures, teach and guide inspectors in the performance of their duties, identify/investigate problems, determine root cause and initiate corrective actions.
- Quality Improvement Manager (Non-profit) Seeking a person to manage and improve clinical and program performance and services. Experience in designing and implementing utilization and case reviews. Identifying and quantifying outcome criteria for program evaluation and producing and interpeting data.
- Quality Management Director (Non-profit healthcare) Responsible for the overall quality management process to include corporate compliance, risk management, state and federal regulations, OASIS and JCAHO accreditation. Must be detailed oriented, highly motivated and exhibit strong leadership skills. Advanced computer skills to include database software.
- Quality Resource Analyst (Nonprofit-Hospital)Must be a registered nurse, clinical experience in acute care/critical care. Quality Management experience preferred. Knowledge of data analysis, basic statistical methods and PC experience required.
- Research Manager (Private - Publishing) Looking for the right person to lead our research efforts. This person will have direct responsibility in managing our primary quantitative and qualitative research as well as secondary research for our various departments. This person will develop and maintain a library of secondary resources to comprehensively understand our market, including readers/consumers, etc. This person will develop issue-based research studies, including research proposals and goals, selecting research suppliers, interpreting and presenting results to all levels of our organization. Good computer skills, the ability to conceptualize sales presentation and research projects from initial idea to final product.
- Senior Data Center Operations Analyst (Non-profit - hospital) Establish & maintain daily production schedules; develop and maintain documentation standards; involved with system implementation and maintenance; review & implement new and revised production procedures and jobs resulting from project implementation and revision to current systems and programs; and serve as an expert user for developing systems solutions. Strong technical documentation and quality assurance skills; and excellent verbal communication and customer relations skills.
- Senior Programmer Analyst (Private - Manufacturing)Plan, coordinate and execute the implementation of computer based solutions for the applications programming group. You will work closely with the user community to develop functional and programming specifications to be used for computer code development; and design, create, test, debug and install computer program codes in compliance with programming standards. Maintain an awareness of installed system capabilities including data base structure and content; and maintain a current knowledge of the standard programming language, coding methods and techniques required to produce a maintainable and functional program code. The ability to work well in a team environment and complete tasks within a given time frame and given budget is essential. Excellent written and oral communications skills a must.
- Senior Scientist (Non-profit - Hospital) You will provide methodological and technical oversight and support to a variety of outcomes research and program evaluation projects with an emphasis on Community Health, Health-related Quality of Life, Behavioral Risk Factors and Resource Utilization. You will also be responsible for grant writing, manuscript preparation and communications with study collaborators. In addtion, you will also provide assistance in supporting Outcomes Research Program development through educational sessions and process management. Experience in research design, grant preparation, statistical analysis and study management. Proficiency in use of statistical and relational database software required.
Epidemiologist (n = 10)
- Administrative Assistant (Non-profit - Research) This position will be responsible for preparing standardized correspondence, reports, graphic presentations, organizing and coordinating meetings, answering the telephone line. We require computer literacy/proficency as well as excellent verbal communication, organization and prioritization skills.
- Clinical Data Coordinator (Visiting Nurse Assn) Responsibility include computer entry of all clinical and related data, review and audit of data entry documentation, transmission of data to appropriate parties, printing/maintiaining reports and forms. Excellent knowledge of medical terminology. High degree of accuracy.
- Customer Care Specialist (Private-Insurance) Provide outstanding customer service.... Strong verbal communication skills, computer literacy and the ability to handle a high call volume required.
- Customer Service Representative (Private-Media) You will respond to incoming calls in our customer service call center. You will process complaints, requests, enter data into computer system, and document issues and concerns....
- Database Administrator (Academia) Energetic, experienced and self-motivated individual to assist in developing and maintaining its administrative information system. Requires a strong interest in learning and supporting new technologies, the ability to deal effectively with a diverse client community, excellent verbal and written communication skills, a high sense of self-motivation, initiative, organization, follow-through and the abilty to work with minimal supervision and direction.
- Development Coordinator (Non-profit) To assist in the effort to raise funds to address community and agency gaps in service. Position requires strong organizational skills, strong writing ability, computer literacy. Willingness to continually learn new thigns, an ability to take the initiative in problem solving, and an interest in working as a team member to advance the mission of a social service agency.
- Director of Corporate Communications (Private - Manufacturing) As a professionally trained spokesperson for
the company, this highly visible position requires the expertise to communicate a broad range of complex and technical information in a variety of mediums, to our participants, industry groups, and the general public. This position requires a high-energy person who is used to working at a fast pace in very dynamic environments and comfortable reporting to and interacting with members of the board of directors and senior-level exceuctive by advising and briefing them in media and public relations activities, regional governmental agencies, federal and state-elected officials. Excellent written and presentation skills are essential, demonstrated expertise in writing PR related materials, news releases and Q&A.
- Health Information Analyst (Non-profit - Research) You are needed for the management and statistical analysis of health care data, to assist in the design and implementation of analysis plans and contribute to the dissemination of results through reports and presentations.
- Licensing and Contracts Specialist (Private - Insurance) You will respond to inquiries regarding appointments and licensing. Required to learn state rules and regulations... and meet state mandated deadlines. Strong analytical and problem solving skills required.
- Manager, Data Center (Non-profit - health plan) Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills required along with strong leadership, analytical, and problem solving skills. Experience in dealing with contract vendors is required.
Health Program Associate (n = 11)
- Community Communications Associate (Academia) To inform and educate xx about the many exciting and vibrant undertakings xx is currently involved with. The selected candidate will create and execute strategic communications programs, design, coordinate and manage special events and oversee the development of reports and various informational databases. Exellent written and oral communication, organizational and interpersonal skills. Working knowledge of HTML, desktop pubilshin software, Microsoft Office and Access required.
- Community Outreach Director (Non-profit) Seeks enthusiastic individuals with excellent people skills to cultivate relationships with the professional community.
- Grant Writer/Manager (Non-profit) Here is your opportunity to make a difference. Use your skills to further a mission you believe in. An experience Grant Manager to coordinate our portfolio of private grants. Duties include grant research, writing/solicitation, grant management, and reporting to private foundations and corporations. Must have excellent technical research and writing skills, a keen understanding of the role of funding-raising in a non-profit environment.
- Marketing Coordinator (Private - Engineering) Responsibilities include proposal production, preparation of presentation graphics, development of marketing materials, and tradeshow coordinator. Must possess excellent writing, communication and organizational skills.
- Media and Community Relations Coordinator (Non-profit Healthcare) Responsible for the planning and implementation of the agency's media and community relations including writing and distributing press releases, coordinate agency participation in community events and developing educational programs. Ideal candidate must be creative thinker who exhibits excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to develop strong media relations. Prior health experience helpful.
- Program Data Specialist (Human Service Agency) Development and maintenance of computerized client records. Working knowledge of computer systems and software.
- Project Coordinator (Non-profit - Research) Monitor the progress of the project to ensure that all deliverable and other work is completed in a timely manner, consistent with company policies and procedures.
- Project Manager (Non-profit - Community)
Seeing an energetic people person ... responsibilities include but are not limited to: serving as staff to the full committee and various subcommittees; organizing large community meetings; meeting with & providing technical assistance... research & analysis; and grant monitoring & follow-up. Excellent organizational, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Regional Executive for Cancer Control (Non-profit) Seeks a full-time program coordinator to develop and implement public health programs and activities in CT communities and become a part of the cancer control outreach and education team. This position will focus on prevention and early detection education, including, but not limited to tobacco control, school health and breast health. Excellent computer, organizational and communications skills required, as well as community outreach and organization skills.
- Support Services Manager (Private - Retail) A highly motivated, team player who posseses excellent communication and problem solving skills along with an ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast pace environment. This person will be responsible for the administrative support in various areas of the company. Computer proficiency a must.
- Technical Writer (Private - Manufacturing)
Candidate must have strong written communication skills and be responsible for assembling individual requirements into single unified documents. Knowledge of Windows and Word required.